Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Seafood - Me no likey

Somehow...I don't know how, Nic and I are completely caught up on Maslow's heirarchy of needs which has created this happy/feisty atmosphere in the house this morning as opposed to the normal threating of the kids with maiming if they dare ask for anything as absurd as a bowl of cereal before 7 a.m.. Nic took advantage of this mood by blaring some of his favorite music...PHISH. He rarely subjects me to the torture...but he was feeling his oats today. He has a near reverent regard for this band. He was in the kitchen with this silly grin on his face, pouring raisin bran and playing air guitar as I sat on the couch involuntarily plucking my eyelashes out one by one. I have to admit though...I do get a nostalgic coma-like feeling from this music because he listened to this band daily when we were dating and I was so crazy-go-nuts in love with him that I probably would have eaten a dead elephant foot if he offered it to me - and enjoyed it. And there are the occasional bursts of quirky lyrics that are hard to resist...something about "Give the director a serpent detector, a molerat deflector, a rivet reflector, a cushion confector, a hormone collector, a picture of nectar..." It's hard not to enjoy that...it's like hating Shel Silverstien...not possible.

Anyway...I thought a few bites of icecream might help get me through this morning ...and as I pried the shrink wrap off of the carton, Nic remarked through a mouthful of cereal, "Isn't it a little early to be hitting the sauce?" To which I replied with one small glance which communicated a thousand words such as, "I am eight months pregnant wearing a pink flowered moo-moo because that is all I can sausage my body into and even though I just ate an orange and a plate of tuna casserole I will now eat some icecream if I dang well feel like it. And each bite will increase my virtue and beauty." And because we are basking in this twilight zone of unnatural contentment on this rare morning...I think he believed me.

9 comments:

Mackay Family said...

Angie:

Phish is awesome. Husbands need Phish to cope with the daily stresses of wife, I mean, life. Phish is mental ice cream. Thank you for not killing Nic. I'll be sending more Phish to him soon. Please do not kill him then either. Additionally, please do not give me the all-powerful 8-months-pregnant stink eye either. I would wither and die if such a glance were to come my way.

The San Diego Mills said...

I do believe that you are one of the best story tellers that I have ever had the honor of knowing. You have a great knack for telling stories in a funny and lovely way! I agree with you, when you are 8 months pregnant (or even if you're just me!) you are entitled to eat ice cream as early in the morning as you wish! It would have been an interesting twist on the story if you had been eating Ben and Jerry's Phish Food ice cream too, don't you think?

Stacie said...

Ugh, Phish!!


So many bad memories...

Michelle said...

I especially love the part about each bite increasing your virtue and beauty. I couldn't agree more!
Thank you for the good laugh...
you really are the best story teller. Pregnancy must not be affecting your brain like it affects mine!
And I am happy to know that Weston isn't the only one with diaper "issues!" Your comment was hillarious... I'm sure the "weiner" stage will pass! :)

"M" Clan said...

I haven't heard any Phish in a long time! Lovin the mu-mu & if you need any more ice cream, I would be happy to send some! xoxo Youre almost there!!

i said...

elephant feet. yum. you should have tried it while you had the chance!
i loved the cleaver story. me no likey fish either.

Michelle B. said...

I can relate to your dating story except the band of choice for Craig was Pearl Jam, but I do have a fond memory of seeing this band in concert while being newly pregnant with Christian.

Kacey Nielsen said...

Hey Angie, i keep meaning to give you the dance/theater preschool class info. its hollywoodkidsacademy.com. the class for Afton is the fairytale theater at the green valley location. I don't teach it and i get nothing if you sign up so no pressure, only if youre interested. talk to you soon!

Mary said...

I agree with Michelle. I cannot even type a sentance when I'm pregnant. You are sooooo funny.