Friday, March 20, 2009

Hello World!

Here I am in labor... on March 4th, listening to Jack Johnson whilst conjuring up a very specific memory of me riding along side my hubby on the North Shore of Oahu with my bare feet out the window looking at the ocean. You'd be amazed at how much I clung to that image and how much it helped. Earlier in the day I was picking up Afton from preschool and cursing my false labor. Only...half way back while going 80 mph on the freeway I had a pain that clearly was not false labor. So I spent the next five or six hours puttering around my house hiding in my bedroom from any noise or distraction...reading my Dr. Sears Birth book wondering... is this really it? Finally around 5:50 pm I told Nic, "You better get me to the hospital."
Southern Hills Hospital was a ghost town when I walked into the Labor and Delivery floor. I crawled up onto a bed and said, "Let's do this thing." Unfortunately I did not know that because I tested positive for beta strep I had to have four hours inbetween intrvienous antibiotic doses! Are you kidding me? I'm dialated to a five...in pretty good labor and you are saying I have to wait four more hours? I'd like to see how that's going to happen. So...the nurses treated me like a delicate piece of glass trying not to check me or let my water break as we all stared at the drip drip drip of the antibiotic bag while chanting "GO BABY GO BABY GO!" My chanting got even more sincere as I was at a seven and the nurse infomed me she wouldn't even call the anesthesiologist untill I had recieved all the medicine! Then she said, you are doing great...why don't you try it natural? I have to admit, I was tempted. Afterall, the sensation of a needle fishing around in my spinal juices is not my favorite experience. However, the sensation of delivering my first baby with the epidural shut off was oh so much more not my favorite experience. So...my bff Dr. Chen arrived and gave me my epidural and about an hour later...

Jemma Sage Larkin was born! 8 lbs. 9 oz, 20 inches long at 11:36pm.

Here's my so cool under fire Dr. Swainston. He was singing "If you leave me now, You'll take away the biggest part of me" as I was pushing her out.

Oh! So cute! Look at her pathetic litle cry!


My nurse Julie made a bow for her beanie!



My mommy.


Me with my favorite Jamba Juice, "Carribean Passion" courtesy of my mother in law Michelle. Life is good. I'm NOT pregnant...it's the day after and I've got Jamba Juice.



Afton's first meeting. When it was time for her to go she threw a huge fit which she doesn't usually do and cried, "I'm NOT leaving here without my baby sister!"


My daddy.



Loving my family visit and my new baby.



Evan checking out her toes.



Morning after Dad. Love that messy bed head.


Getting ready to go home.



Poor thing....she's so skinny:)


You'd think a muppet fathered this baby judging from her abundance of fuzziness. She's getting sunned at Grandma Michelle's big bay window for her jaundice.



Happy Daddy.


Jemma...toe up.



Afton slung up her baby just like mommy.
Thank you to all my friends and family who helped out. A special shout out to my mom who even broke her arm in the line of duty! Your three weeks here was pure heaven! Thanks to Grandma M who brought the mother load of paper products...I still haven't washed a cereal bowl. Thanks to Julie who came and got my kids and took them outside to play so I could breathe for a second...I wrote about the birth in my journal and read my scriptures:) Thanks to you all for the beautiful meals, blog comments, facebook notes and just calling to check on me. I love you all and can't wait to rejoin society:) Pardon any typos or statements that make no sense...I'm functioning on very little sleep and very wacked hormones.













24 comments:

The San Diego Mills said...

A big congratulations to you and your family! I was wondering if you'd had that baby yet and was happy to see that you have! She is a beautiful, chunky little thing! Also, it makes me disgusted that you even look so beautiful and photogenic after just having a baby! Anyway, congrats again to you guys!
P.S. Your Dr. is the uncle of my high school and just after Ryan left on his mission boyfriend. Interesting, eh?

Michelle said...

Oh Angie, she is so beautiful! Your pictures made me teary-eyed! I am so glad to hear about your experience and see all the precious pictures... and you do look pretty smashing considering you had just given birth! You are a tough cookie. Doing labor w/o meds is no easy task, and even though you did eventually get your epidural, I can imagine how hard it was getting to that point since you weren't expecting it.
Congratulations!!

Salena said...

Congraatulations!!! She is so cute. Keep up the cuteness!

Stacie said...

YAY!!! What a beautiful story!!!

Julina said...

I'm so happy for you! Congrats on that. And don't even worry about not being able to come to the temple, I just wanted you to know that I was thinking of you and everything you did for me as the wonderful YW leader that you were.

Lynette said...

Congrats!! She is so beautiful and so are you!

Gina Rochelle said...

Congrats! So cute, glad you made it!

Gina Rochelle said...

Congrats! So cute, glad you made it!

Lafantasma said...

Yay! Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl! I'm so excited for you and your family (and a little jealous ;)) Congrats again!

Kassandra

guruburu said...

mazel tov :) lol
i love jamba juice too

stout family said...

first of all, what a fantastic little recap of jemma's birth. i really am looking forward to having this little girl! secondly...load of crap about your meds! they barely had enough time to get one bag in me! also the chances are slim of having a problem even without the meds. oh well, you made it through beautifully & look what you have to show for it!!! you are officially a family of 5!!!!

p.s.-sorry I hope sara wasn't bothered that I congratulated her! hope i didn't get you in trouble!

megan beals photography said...

I was getting scared for you while reading this that you wouldn't have the epidural! But I'm also one of those huge wusses who asked for the shot in the back at 4 centimeters...

She's a doll! Congratulations!

Larkin Family said...

Yay! She is absolutely adorable. Good for you...you were such a trooper and all of your hard work payed off!

Kimmie said...

What a beautiful little doll!! And you were cute too Angie. You Muffin Stud! I asked for the epidural in the second trimester. Good work you guys! Miss you.
Love The Ashlimans

"M" Clan said...

Okay, I haven't blogged and HAD NO CLUE, CONGRATULATIONS! She is adorable, and those cheeks! I am so happy for you... its over and it looks like you did great (of course)! We love you guys, enjoy your sweetheart! xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Congrats! She's beautiful!! You two should have a dozen, the way you have beautiful kids!
Just love ya so much and glad that's OVER and you made it through it, and look great, always beautiful! Looking forward to seeing you soon at your Sis's!
Hugs to all of you!

Jennifer said...

Hi Nick and Angie! I found you on Evan and Kim's site. Congrats on baby #3. She is beautiful, and I love her name, Jemma. Do you mind if I put you on my blog. If you want to put us on your's ours is www.mackaymayhem.blogspot.com. Take care! Love, Lee and Jen

Lilia Todd said...

Congrats. She is so cute. I am in love with your name choice. Jemma. I will have to congratulate you in person later. I love you.

Becca said...

Congrats!!! She is beautiful and you look awesome!!! Way to go Angie!!!!It's so hard to get to the hospital and have them tell you to wait...you're amazing!

Christene said...

So beautiful! Congratulations on your newest addition. I love hearing birth stories. You did so well under pressure! Your darling little girl looks too cute to be real. I hope you're getting more sleep by now and enjoying this wonderful time!

Michelle B. said...

Congrats! Jemma is so cute!

Audrey Taylor said...

She is a cute little baby! You didn't look too bad for just having a baby in your jamba jiuce pics either! So happy for you!!

Mary said...

Oh what wonderful pictures!

i said...

i love her furry pic!!!! so adorable.