Saturday, October 11, 2008

Shut your Pie Hole!

I had an interesting experience today. I usually don't share my personal religious feelings on my blog...I keep it kinda light...but I know I have a lot of mommy friends that blog with me and I think this applies to our lives. It's early Saturday morning and I just finished up preparing my lesson for Sunday school tomorrow. It was about looking forward to Christ's second coming and remaining strong in the face of fear and temptation. One of the main points the lesson made was that as we strive to to what's right Satan increases his forces upon us.

Well, this morning I tried to do what was right. I passed on wasting the morning on a t.v. show I know wouldn't spiritually help me. I prayed before my lesson. I felt the spirit as I prepared and really got excited about sharing my testimony of those principles in my class tomorrow. I ended my lesson with a prayer and thanked Heavenly Father for helping me feel so darn excited about the scriptures...that's a hard thing for me so I was extra grateful. Here's where it gets weird.

I don't pretend to understand how Satan operates. I don't know logistically how his ideas end up in our heads or exactly how he tempts us. But I'll tell you what I do know and what happened this morning. I came out of my bedroom feeling on top of the world, ready to tackle my shopping list and clip coupons and really get my stuff in order for the Sabbath and to have a great day with my family. I sat down to eat my delicious breakfast tacos and these are the sentences that entered my head.

"YOU HAVE NO CALL TO BE HAPPY. YOU ARE A SLAVE TO YOUR FAMILY AND SHOPPING FOR THEM AND CLEANING THE HOUSE IS MEANINGLESS. YOU ARE STUPID TO BE EXCITED FOR YOUR DAY BECAUSE THERE IS SO MUCH MORE OUT THERE TO MAKE YOU HAPPY."

I just want to tell you how blown away I was by those thoughts. I clearly know they were not mine. They were the total opposite to what I was feeling just seconds before and though I don't know exactly how Satan works...I know those were his ideas and not mine. So I told him to SHUT HIS PIE HOLE!

Even as I write this I feel the confirmation that what I am saying is true. I love being a mother and a wife and I just want to say that it is worth it and that keeping a home and feeding and nurturing my family is an errand from God. That's all. Thanks for listening.

9 comments:

i said...

you tell him sista!?! at least his pie hole opened up when you could notice it for the ugly thing it was! disgusting fiend.
hope you are enjoying your day lovely fall day. we do have it good, don't we!

Lafantasma said...

You inspired my latest blog post. Check it out at http://www.lvlafantasma.blogpsot.com. You already have the invite, so you should be able to see it. Thanks for inspiration! You are so right.

Mackay Family said...

Thank You Angie! Those are just the thoughts I needed today!
kim

Amber said...

I tagged you. Go to my BLOG.

"M" Clan said...

YOU RECOGNIZED IT- and didn't let him get to you. Thank you for sharing such a personal story. It helps me in my life when I hear stories of others! xo

Michelle said...

I appreciated your post. Sometimes I think I forget how real the adversary is. We can never let ourselves become complacent - thank you for reminding me!

Audrey Taylor said...

Good girl, Angie. Sometimes that happens. I'm glad you fought back head on!...and published it as a warning to all of us to be looking out.

Juan "the mysterious" said...

That's a direct quote from either chad or david from 8th grade....haha!

Larkin Family said...

Hi Angie! This is Whitney Larkin...and I found your blog! You have the cutest family and we can't wait to see you guys again soon. Love ya!