Friday, May 30, 2008

The Golden Gate Bridge



When people visit my house I often get the comment, "Oh, wow, you guys don't have a diswasher." To which my husband loves to reply, "Sure we do, she's right there." He then points at me or jabs me in the ribs. I know, charming right?

Well at the end of this day I surveyed the kitchen and wondered, did I really dirty this many dishes in one day? Is it possible? When I woke up this morning there was one bowl and one spoon in the sink. Right now there are:
4 mixing bowls
2 cookie pans
4 dinner plates
1 pitcher
1 pot
1 frying pan and lid
4 tumblers
4 sippy cups
5 large spoons
2 graters
1 can opener
6 cereal bowls
1 strainer
2 tupperware bowls
2 measuring spoons
10 forks
2 pairs scissors
8 spoons
4 butter knives
2 steak knives
1 cleaver
1 cutting board
1 mug

Somtimes I wonder if from now on we can live on dry cheerios served on a napkin.

My sister once told me that the painters of the golden gate bridge never take a day off. They start at one end and when they reach the other end it is time to start painting the first end again. In other words, it is never, ever, ever, (did I mention ever?) done.

Deep down I know it's worth it. The kids ate pancakes and stirfry and tuna sandwiches and all kinds of other good stuff today. Even as I speak I hear Evan saying "nummy" because he's in the middle of a gooey chocolate chip cookie. But I think tonight I'm going to hand my paintbrush to my husband.

4 comments:

Audrey Taylor said...

Angie,
You are a great author and so positive, too!
~Audrey

monica said...

Amen to the passing of the paintbrush!

But seriously, Angie, Hans and I invested in a standard size, portable dishwasher that you hook up to the sink. It's MAGICAL!!! Every time I load it, I'm happy. I think it saved my sanity, without having to goto a psychiatrist and go on meds. I love my dishwasher and it was worth every penny and I'd do it again, no questions asked. :)

stout family said...

I love this post! It totally made me laugh & I even read it to Adam!

i said...

I don't want to ever be the painter...what would it matter if the GGB went rusty anyway???